Candle Care 101
Control the size of the flame!
Always trim the wick before use. We suggest trimming an 1/8th of an inch off the wick before each use, being sure to cut any charred or “mushroom” remains before each lighting. During longer burns, the wick will begin to form a "mushroom" like shape, care should be taken to remove these burned remnants and retrim the wick to ⅛” inch after every burn.
Safety first. Keep the candle away from drafts!
An unstable flame will mushroom, soot and/or smoke. Also, don’t burn candles near children and pets. Finally, don’t ever leave a burning candle unattended.
Allow a full wax pool to form before blowing out candle!
When you don’t allow the entire surface of the candle to melt, tunneling occurs which leaves unused wax in the tin. This can take from 2-4 hours, depending on the size of the wick. For best results, we recommend burning the candle in 4 hour intervals. If all of the wax has not been melted, which frequently occurs the first time the candle is burned, it will create a “memory ring.” When the candle has a “memory ring,” it will create a dry, hard ring around the candle and will continue to deepen.
Use a coaster!
This prevents heat build-up on surfaces.
Keep the lid!
You can use the lid to cover the candle and extinguish the flame. No oxygen = no flame. The smoke will also dissipate within 10 minutes of being firmly covered. No smoke or mess.
Properly store your candle!
Candles are sensitive to temperature and light, it is important where to store candles for a long time. When storing your candle, place it in a cool, dry, shaded area away from sunlight or intense light. Try to keep it in a dark place like a cabinet to protect it from discoloration, fading, and sweating. Since candles can be sensitive to extreme temperatures, it’s best to store them between 50ºF and 75ºF. Be sure not to leave candles at your front door for an extended period of time as they may discolor or sweat. Extreme cold temperatures can cause cracking.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND SAFETY TIPS….
Believe it or not, there is actually a National Candle Association and they provide even more fire safety and candle care tips. Check it out: https://candles.org/fire-safety-candles/